Thursday 27 October 2011

Spellbinding resources for Young Learners

Draw a stick man is an online resource where - you've guessed it! – you draw a stick man. But then the remarkable thing is that your stick man comes "alive" and starts asking you questions and giving you instructions! I've used it with my Silver 2 class (Primary 9 & 10 year olds) and they were spellbound. We then followed this up up with me giving them a drawing-a-story dictation – which practised the vocabulary we'd learnt, following instructions, prepositions of place (next to, behind etc), some basic adjectives etc. I left the ending of the story up to them – what the monster did when the 2 stick men that they'd drawn escaped (hanging onto a balloon and a kite). So, we ended up by having a round the class interchange about what each monster was doing. Great stuff!

I reckon that Juniors would also buy into drawing a stick man. I've even used it with a Young Adult class for a quick mood change activity – and it seemed to go down well.

Another drawing resource that fits the seasonal theme – Halloween – is Grabba Beast I haven't used it yet but for a fun class activity to revise body parts, colours, adjectives and the obligatory draw a Halloween monster, I'm sure it'd work well.

Fun drawing!

No comments: